DICKY BEACH SURF LIFE SAVING CLUB (FORMERLY KNOWN AS NORTH CALOUNDRA SLSC) WAS ESTABLISHED IN 1950.
The rigid rules concerning public bathing (men and women bathing together) were relaxed around the turn of the century (1900). Surfing quickly became popular and drownings began to occur. Prior to, and immediately after World War II, Dicky Beach was only patrolled during the Christmas/New Year and Easter holidays by patrolling members from Metropolitan Caloundra SLSC at Kings Beach.
After World War ll, as the area around Moffat Beach and Dicky Beach became closely settled, the need for regular weekend patrols became obvious. There was a strong local support for the establishment of a surf club to patrol the area on a permanent basis. Funds were raised locally to build a clubhouse and, with the assistance of a State Government subsidy, the club became a reality.
The original site on the point south of the Dicky Wreck (Neil Street) was selected, as the new club had access to both Dicky Beach which was to be the club’s main patrolling area and Moffat Beach which was popular with board riders. Metropolitan Caloundra SLSC had experienced major problems with beach erosion in the area, so the site on the point was considered to be safe from similar problems.
From the outset, Dicky Beach SLSC had some difficultly in mustering sufficient qualified members to mount effective patrols. Three Met-Caloundra members, Maurie Schafer, Cliff Croughan and Jim Roberts all agreed to transfer to the new club to help it in its initial stages. In October 1950 the club carried out its first patrols with a membership of ten (10). That number reached twenty (20) by the end of the season 1950-51. Today, there are over 250 active patrolling members at Dicky Beach SLSC, plus more than 400 Nippers.
In 1950, the club commenced with two-story fibro structure on the headland near the Neil Street Rocks. The club changed it’s location northward after the original club house burnt down on 21 February 1976 and is now located at the beach end of Coochin Street (adjacent the Wreck), in excellent modern facilities. Dicky Beach SLSC has made continual progress and improvement over the years. All this progress has been accomplished through generous donations from our loyal supporters and a lot of voluntary work by members of the club. The grand tradition will continue well into the future.
In 2009, the Dicky Beach Surf Life Saving Club was awarded “Club Of The Year” by Surf Life Saving Queensland. Also, our Supporters Club (Dining, Bar & Gaming Facilities) have twice won the Clubs Queensland, “Small Club of the Year Award”.
We are particually proud of our club’s record of service with full and efficient patrols from it’s inception to the present day, without loss of life.